St Bartholomew's School, Newbury

West Berkshire Council

Originally formed in 1466, St Bartholomew’s School has been adapted and extended over the years to reflect changing educational needs. The project is a leading school on the Improvement and Efficiency South East (IESE) Framework. It consolidates the 1,650 place secondary school, with sixth form, from two sites into one efficient campus. The selection of a site on the existing playing fields, following a planning and design options appriasal, has led to the creation of “one of the most striking designs in the region”. It comprises five houses, each with a tapered green roof, arranged as petals around a 1,000 sq m tensile fabric covered “hub”. A truly environmentally sustainable school, it is one of a limited number in the country which achieved BREEAM Excellent at both pre and post construction stages, delivering an energy saving of at least 40% over Part L 2006. The project won a Green Apple Award in 2011, and was shortlisted in the BCSE Awards 2011 for Excellence in Design for Teachning and Learning. "The accommodation clearly reflects the aspirations of the council and school to introduce new ways of learning. The building looks spectacular and the school are delighted with their new facilities.” Bill Bagnall, Programme Manager, West Berkshire Council

+ +